Road widening at Circuit Lane, Reading
Photograph from Reading Chronicle Collection - November 1950
Reading Borough Council started building several new housing estates after the end of Second World War to replace old and sub-standard housing in the town centre and to meet a nationwide housing shortage. One of the largest new council estates was at Southcote between the Bath Road and the Holybrook. Two existing country lanes, Circuit Lane and Southcote Lane, were widened to become the main through roads of the new housing estate.
This photograph was published in the Berkshire Chronicle on 3 November 1950.
Museum object number