Abbey Gateway Collapse, Reading
Photograph - February 1861
Reading Abbey Gateway on the Forbury collapsed after a storm on 20 February 1861. After the collapse it was restored by architect Sir George Gilbert Scott between 1861-1862.
This building was the inner gateway of the Abbey, controlling access from the public area in front of the west front of the Abbey church (The Forbury) into the monk's private quarters. The inner gateway survived the Abbey's dissolution in 1539 as part of a royal residence. Between 1785 and 1786 the author Jane Austen and her sister Cassandra attended the Reading Ladies’ Boarding School that was located in the Gateway.
Museum object number