The opening of the Remand Home for Juveniles at Whitley, Reading (one of two)
Photograph from Reading Chronicle Collection - October 1938
Reading's Remand Home for Juveniles was opened on the 5 October 1938 at Elm House on Whitley Wood Road. It replaced the old premises on Southampton Road which were deemed as no longer appropriate. The home provided accommodation for eight boys and three girls and rooms included day rooms, two boy's bedrooms (one for the juniors and one for the seniors), a girl's bedroom, two staff bedrooms, an isolation room, a retention ward and a school room.
This photograph was published in the Berkshire Chronicle on 7 October 1938.
Museum object number