Jacksons Corner Christmas Lights in Reading
Photograph from Reading Chronicle Collection - December 1963
Jacksons Corner with its sign has been a well-known Reading landmark since 1885. Edward Jackson opened his gentleman’s outfitters on 17 December 1875 just a few doors away at 6 High Street. Jackson had a policy of sound value and personal attention to detail. This was a successful business formula and by 1899 he had expanded the store into the premises now known as Jacksons Corner.
In the 1950s the main shop was refurbished and expanded, creating the store that customers remember with its beautifully made wooden fittings and pneumatic tube system that was still used to handle cash throughout the store until its closure on 24 December 2013.
This photograph was published in the Berkshire Chronicle on 13 December 1963.
Museum object number