The Broad Face Hotel, Reading
Postcard - about 1920
The hotel facade and entrance of 'Ye Broad Face' on High Street, one of Reading's shortest streets. It was important because it connected the London Road to the Market Place via the HIgh Bridge over the River Kennet.
The diarist Samuel Pepys noted 'the odd sign of the Broad Face' in 1688. It was closed and demolished to extend Lloyds Bank in 1926.
Museum object number