Reading Museum Town Hall

Reading Museum

Search the Collections

Old Crown Inn, Reading

Watercolour by Hanslip Fletcher (1874-1956) - 1917

completed for accessibility and SEO

The Old Crown Inn by Hanslip Fletcher, 1917

The Crown stood on the corner of London Street and Crown Street on the main coaching road between London and Bath.

It was one of the largest and oldest coaching inns in Reading. In the 18th and 19th centuries it was one of the main stopping points for stage coaches. Queen Charlotte, William Pitt and John Wesley are just some of the people who dined there. This painting shows the imposing Georgian brick facade that was demolished in the 1960s.

Museum object number REDMG : 1931.109.1

See related topic: Reading Pubs