The Abbey Mill
Photograph for Travel Association - 1949
Photograph of the interior of Reading Abbey Mill in 1949 showing a miller filling a sack of flour beside the medieval mill arch.
At this date the mill on the site of the old abbey mill was known as Soundy's Mill. Despite the name change, the scene in this striking photograph would have changed little since medieval times. Over time the building had been altered and repaired so that by the 1950s only two stone arches from the original mill remained, straddling Holy Brook. When Soundy's Mill was demolished in 1964 one of these was, for some reason, knocked down, so that today only a single arch remains. This photograph seems to be related to set of 77 photographs that were sent to Reading, Pennsylvania, for their Bi-Centenary Celebrations.
Museum object number