A naive view of the ruins of Reading Abbey
Watercolour by Mary Webster - 16th August 1849
In this painting of Reading Abbey it is possible to see the walls of the south transept and the treasury. The long passage that stretches from the treasury in the painting appears to be romanticised as it stretches far off into the distance. A lady in a red dress is doing a sketch of the scene might be the artist, Mary Webster.
Over the wall in the background is Reading Gaol. When this painting was produced in 1849 the Gaol had only been open for five years. The architect, George Gilbert Scott, was also responsible for the rebuilding of the Abbey Gateway after its collapse in 1861.
Museum object number