Huntley & Palmers Original Premises sample tin
This small rectangular flat tin, probably used as a sample tin, has an illustration of the original premises occupied by Huntley & Palmers in Reading in the 1840s on the hinged lid.
The painting on the lid of this tin was executed in 1948 by Reginald Mills and was 'presented to Reading Corporation' by Huntley and Palmers at that date. The design on the tin, in fact, is slightly different from that in the original painting; for example, some of the shoppers in front of the window have been changed. This version of the tin must belong to the early 1950s, as later versions mention the Liverpool (Huyton) factory on the side, which was opened in 1955. Reginald Mills was a portrait, landscape and coastal scene painter who exhibited extensively in London, between 1921 and 1938. He exhibited paintings at the Royal Academy, Royal Society of British Artists and the Royal Institute of Watercolours.
Manufactured by Huntley Boorne & Stevens using offset litho.
Museum object number