Reading Museum Town Hall

Reading Museum

Search the Collections

Tractor at Museum of English Rural Life, Reading

Photograph from Reading Chronicle Collection - August 1956

completed for accessibility and SEO

A tractor on display at the Museum of English Rural Life.

Tractor at the Museum of English Rural Life at their site on Whiteknight's campus, University of Reading. The museum was founded in 1951, growing out of the university's long academic connections with agriculture. The Museum of English Rural Life now occupies the house once known as East Thorpe on Redlands Road, designed in 1880 by Alfred Waterhouse for Alfred Palmer (of the Reading biscuit manufacturers, Huntley & Palmers). The site later became St Andrews Hall in 1911, a hall of residence for women attending the university before being redeveloped for the use of the museum. The Museum of English Rural Life opened on this new site in 2005.

This photograph was taken for the Berkshire Chronicle but was not published.

Museum object number REDMG : 1980.36.C351.1

See related topic: Reading Chronicle

See related topic: University