St Mary's Butts, Reading
Photograph - probably 1880s
This photograph shows the west side of St Mary's Butts before demolition of the medieval timber-framed buildings, including the Swan Inn on the corner of Hosier Street.
The Swan was rebuilt in a mock-Tudor style by the architect G.W. Webb in 1899, and this is the building that can still be seen today. St Mary's Butts takes its name from the archery butts located here in the 15th century, but in origin it is Reading's original Saxon market place.
Museum object number